Monday, January 26, 2009

ORGANIZING THE WRITER'S OFFICE SPACE:PORTABLE SOLUTIONS

by Johnnie Donley

When it comes to organizing your writing space, keep the KISS acronym in mind: keep it simple, sweetie! The more complicated your organizational system, the less likely it is to work. As a writer, you have specific needs beyond that of the typical office. How are you going to organize sample magazines, writers' guidelines, and writing projects? Whether you have a room to call your own, claimed the dining room table, or carved out a little corner nook, portable KISS solutions will keep you organized.

Once upon a time, I placed every magazine I could find in its own labeled folder along with guidelines (when I had them). But you know what happened? Most never saw the light of day again. In fact, I recently found one of those filing crates in the garage. Hanging folders neatly held neatly labeled file folders. Each folder held a pristine magazine. Dating back to the last century.

When I did take magazines out of their folders, I wouldn't take the time to re-file them. Instead I piled them. And piled them. And piled them.

Now I skip the filing step and purposely pile magazines in canvas tote bags. You know, the ones you can get for about a dollar at Wal-Mart and the grocery stores. They stack neatly in a closet when not in use. And when I want to look through the magazines, I haul the bag to the family room couch for leisurely study. When I'm done, the magazines go back in the bag and the bag goes back in the closet. No re-filing required. And no taking up needed space in a filing cabinet.

I don't file writers' guidelines anymore, either. Instead, I slip them in sheet protectors and keep them, alphabetized, in a large three-ring binder. It's so easy to open the notebook and flip through the pages. No more labeling file folders. No more re-filing (or, worse, piling). When I'm done, I just close the binder and put it back on the bookshelf.

Three-ring notebooks and sheet protectors are great for organizing other items, too. I have one with a section for a section for tracking submissions and queries. It also contains favorite motivational articles. My career goals are in the front section where I can refer to them often.

The notes, research, and drafts of a writing project can become overwhelming and cumbersome. When two or more projects compete for desk space, items can get misplaced or forgotten. There are several solutions, depending on the size of the project.

A file folder may be enough for a personal story that will be submitted to an anthology. A three-ring binder can organize interviews, notes, and drafts for articles. A filing crate, like the one I found in my garage, are great for organizing book projects. Prolific novelist Carole Gift Paige uses these crates for each of her works-in-progress. File folders hold drafts and notes for each separate chapter. Relevant books and other research materials get stashed behind the folders. The crate can be hidden away when not in use and easily brought out when needed.

When it comes to organizing magazines, writers' guidelines, and writing projects, remember KISS. Canvas bags, three-ring notebooks, and filing crates provide portability that you just don't get with a filing cabinet. Best of all, there's no need for re-filing. Or needless piling.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Johnnie: Wow! I love this! I have been filing and piling and now I see why I'm not making much progress! Thanks for this simple approach. Something I learned from Lin Johnson at the Indy Writers' conference has also been helpful to me. I keep a 3x5 notecard box to file articles and greeting card submissions in. Each article or gc verse has its own card with the title on it, the date sent out and who it was submitted to, then the status, if it was purchased or returned. I also keep a small notebook of which articles and gc verses I send out; this is in chronological order. So, I can find an article by title or date submitted.
    I will definitely use the 3 ring binder approach! Thanks oodles!
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since our sons are grown, I now have the small bedroom for my stuff. My hubby built shelves on every wall. I have two filing cabinets as well. Early on, I got into the habit of putting magazines in those plastic holders and then onto a shelf. I also put tutorials that I use for graphics and other lessons in 3-ring notebooks with the plastic sleeves. I label these and put them on the shelves. I also file tutorials and other papers in my cabinets. But my room is a mess. I know where everything is, but I need to organize some things and throw away others. Thanks for your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One solution that really worked for me was my purchased of a portable filing cabinet during the time when I was still active in writing. Having your home as your office is a challenge in a way that at any time you could be moving to a less favorable corner.

    Amanda
    Rent an office

    ReplyDelete