Monday, January 26, 2009

LETTER OF INQUIRY

by Clella Camp

The letter of inquiry is one of the first and perhaps most important contact with an editor. It is here that as authors we make our first impression on the editor. Come travel with me in thought and deed as I write a letter of inqury to an editor.

ADDRESS AND EDITOR’S NAME: I have to be very careful about this. It must be exactly correct. I cannot be lazy and use “To whom it may concern” or “Dear Editor.” Perhaps I can research on line or use Sally Stuart’s Christian Writers’Market Guide to find the name of the acquisitions editor. Sometimes I think I know, but they do change positions quickly in the publishing world so I will try to be sure about this.

THE HOOK: Well, this is the most difficult part for me. If I don’t catch them now, they may not finish my letter. At this point, I am not so well-known that my name can catch the editor.(maybe somedayJ) So I struggle with my first few sentences. Should I use a statistic, a bizarre statement, a question, a narrative that relates to my topic, or an introduction? I want to introduce my topic here also, but a declarative statement of fact will certainly not “hook” the editor.

THE BODY/INFO: Here is the easy part, but still I must put my idea in as few words as possible and yet make my point very clear. I will tell the editor my idea and then I will give my qualifications for writing this particular article. I don’t need to gloss things, but I do need to honestly list my qualifications and experience. If I have books or other articles that have been published about this topic, I should certainly indicate that. Also, I want to tell the editor when the material will be available and that I am certainly willing to edit my work.

CLOSING: As I close I want to leave a good impression. I will thank the editor for considering my proposal, and I will be absolutely sure that all the information they need to contact me is in the letter.

I will proof read carefully. I will not depend on spell check but will edit myself and then will send to my kindredheartswriters that they may also edit and make suggestions. I will make many of the corrections they suggest. After I have decided this is my best effort, I will pray, place it in envelope or send e-mail ( I have already looked at writers’ guidelines so I know which method this editor wants me to use to contact him.)

AND THEN I WAIT…AND I WAIT…AND I WAIT.

Still Waiting,
Clella

For an excellent example of a letter of inquiry click here. Mary De Muth’s link www.relevantprose.com/speaking.php?view=freestuff

1 comment:

  1. Clella:
    Thank you for this well of helpful info, and the Mary DeMuth article. Queries ARE scary for me, even though I am generally a very bold, confident lady. You are sort of exposing your cheek to an editor or agent's slap. Does it get easier the more you do? I am hoping. You are waiting, and I am hoping. We can be the waiting/hoping twins! Let's throw in "praying!"
    Love, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete